Book your appointment online
In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) and Single Gene Diseases
In vitro fertilization, commonly known as IVF, is a medical procedure used to assist couples facing infertility in conceiving a child. This treatment method has enabled many couples to have biological children of their own. When parents have single gene diseases which can be inherited to their children we can help them with selecting the healthy embryos with a genetic test. We call it PGT. Here are the key steps involved in IVF and what we do in single gene disease patients:
1. Anamnesis and Genetic Testing
We first start with taking general anamnesis from the patient and try to detect the genetic disease with some tests.
2. Hormone Therapy:
- Before beginning IVF treatment, the female patient undergoes hormonal therapy to stimulate the ovaries to produce multiple eggs.
3. Egg Retrieval:
- Once the ovaries are matured, doctors surgically retrieve the eggs.
- This procedure is typically guided by ultrasound.
4. Sperm Preparation:
- Samples of sperm from the male partner are processed in the laboratory to select the healthiest and most motile sperm.
- The collected eggs and prepared sperm are combined in a laboratory setting, and fertilization is awaited.
6. PGT and Embryo Freezing:
- We send materials from the embryos to genetic investigation and freeze them to make sure we find the healthy embryo to transfer.
7. Embryo Transfer:
- After getting the final reports on embryos we choose the best one and we start the transfer preparations.
- Transfer preparations consist of some hormonal medicines and regular ultrasound check-ups.
- After we reach the wanted level on endometrium growth, we transfer the best and the healthiest embryo.
- We can transfer one or two embryos depending on the circumstances and your other embryos will be frozen for other times.
8. Monitoring and Pregnancy Testing:
- After the embryo transfer, pregnancy symptoms and tests are monitored.
- A successful IVF treatment may result in a healthy pregnancy. IVF treatment can assist couples facing various causes of infertility. However, it may not be effective for every couple and may require multiple attempts.
IVF treatment can assist couples facing various causes of infertility. However, it may not be effective for every couple and may require multiple attempts.